Friday, September 13, 2013

Bagels Can't Be Choosers


Us Mexpats seem to be preoccupied with cravings for favorite foods that are unavailable here. I am not immune. But sometimes,  when an item is made available, they still seem unsatisfied because it doesn't meet certain standards of authenticity.

A recent example was a discussion on the Expat Mexico Forum* of where to buy bagels in Querétaro. Suggestions were quickly offered to the bagel hungry expat that, among other places, one could get them at Costco. We know those bagels. They are pretty good, in spite of being neither hand made nor boiled. Wake up! We're not in Brooklyn. These bagels, made by Einstein Bros. under Costco's Kirkland label toast nicely and taste good. We've seen them available at the Morelia Costco in Plain, Sesame and Asiago flavors. Am I going to whine that they don't have Poppy? Nor do they offer Everything topping? I'm happier yet they there are no Chocolate Chip or Blueberry bagels here. Those are abominations.

NO! I'm happy with these facsimile bagels. They are a lot better than the Mexico City baked bagels I used to buy from the freezer case at Mega Comercial. Those were borderline acceptable. I ate them grudgingly. Einstein-Kirkland's are much better. If I want authentic, water boiled and even handmade bagels, I get all I want when we visit family in New Jersey. And while I'm in New Jersey, I refrain from dining in Mexican restaurants, because I don't want to be disappointed by a lack of authentic technique and ingredients.


*The Expat Forum Mexico is unique, in that it doesn't allow the use of Spanish in Forum posts. Or any other language other than English. I was shocked when an innocuous post of mine was deleted, according to Rule # 6. Posts shall be in English. But going 'way off topic—as I have done here— is no problem. You just gotta love 'em.

Now, for an authentic bagel experience, I offer you the Hot Bagels in Brooklyn video. Eat and be happy you got a bagel at all.

18 comments:

Felipe Zapata said...

I buy Kirkland bagels in CostCo in Morelia often. But I have never seen Einsteins, which is a good brand. Where are they hiding the darn things?


As for your getting zapped on the Expat forum, I can't help but chuckle.

Steve Cotton said...

I know little of bagels. But it must be nice to have a Costco within shopping distance. Or a Best Buy.

Andean said...

NY bagels taste better then NJ bagels. I also think it's the water.
Funny video and typical… made me smile.

DonCuevas said...

I can't remember what NY bagels taste like. It's a been a long time since I had one. But NJ bagels taste just fine to me. It's more a matter of which bakery makes them, not where they're from.


DC

DonCuevas said...

We haven't been in a Best Buy yet in Mexico. Costco regularly.


DC

DonCuevas said...

Felipe, I think the Costco bagels used to just be labeled that. The Einstein co-label is recent. They are sold on the same table as the La Brea Artisanal bread and the "meh!" English Muffins.

Have you been to Pátzcuaro's new doughnut shop yet? It's at the glorieta, across from Bodega, close to OXXO, in the same location where the late, lamented Divina Comida operated. Better get some while it's in business. That's a jinxed location.

The Expat Forum has an overall gentle personality. Kind of loopy at times, though. There are other forums full of nasty, embittered expats squabbling over minutiae. Here, we got choices.



DC

Andean said...

I agree some bakeries make them better then others, but if you ask around, the NY/NJ bagel debate still stands.

DonCuevas said...

I knew that there was a pizza debate, but not on bagels. I suppose there's also a hot dog rivalry. NJ is known as a hot dog leader. But I don't know.


DC

Andean said...

Yep. And I will take NY pizza over NJ pizza anyday.

DonCuevas said...

Muy bien.


DC

jennifer rose said...

When Superama opened in Morelia about 8 years ago, it stocked terrific bagels, baked on the premises. That lasted about 3 weeks. When I asked what happened to the bagels, the bakery staff told me, as one might a moderately retarded child, that bagels were just too chewy and that there other, far better breads.

DonCuevas said...

G_d forbid they look chewish!


DC

Tancho said...

Same people that tell you that pizza crust is too thin and needs to be soft and spongy like birthday cake....

DonCuevas said...

Mmm...Tres Leches Pizza!


DC

John Calypso said...

"...according to Rule # 6. Posts shall be in English."
Ridiculous! I would find another sandbox to play in.


Love a good bagel (the REAL ones!).

DonCuevas said...

Yes, John, I was pi55ed at first, but I got over it. Overall, they are a pleasant bunch, including some names you'd recognize, including that famous Southern wit, Hound Dog/Bubba.

At this point, an old curse in Yiddish comes to mind:

:Gayn dreird und bach begeln."*


*Various spellings found.

Translated: "Go to Hell and bake bagels."

Saludos,
Don Cuevas

Joan said...

You had me at Bagels Can't Be Choosers. Love the film.
Joan

DonCuevas said...

I got a million more like that!
Nice to have your comment.

Saludos,
Don Cuevas