Sunday, November 29, 2009

Huevos Poblanos "Hacienda Don Cuevas"

While writing about our Zihuatanejo breakfast experiences, I decided to make what I consider a proper version of Huevos Poblanos.
Several points:
• I have no idea if this is an "authentic" recipe. I don't care; it's simple and it's good.
• I realize that making a dish in the leisure of one's one kitchen is a different thing than trying to get the orders out in a busy restaurant.
• This is the most basic version of the dish that I could make. I've added some options for those who who prefer to embellish.


Ingredients and method.
Time: 15-20 minutes, not including preparing the chile.
Serves 4
1 chile Poblano, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced. Do this first; in fact, it can be done a day in advance, and refrigerated.


2 Tbsps butter
4 Tbsps chopped white onion
Cook together, just until onion becomes transparent.


2 Tbsps flour. Add to butter and onion; cook on low heat until bubbly but not brown.


Add:
2 cups of cold milk
1 1/2 tsps Knorr-Suiza Caldo de Pollo en Polvo
1/4 tsp ground white pepper


Whisk over low heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.
Taste for seasoning. Salt as needed; a dash of White Wine Worcestershire Sauce (optional)

Add the diced chile Poblano. (Thanks to observant reader "Anonymous")


Off heat, add:
1 heaping Tbsps sour cream (optional)
(Sauce may be pureed with a stick blender, but it's an unnecessary refinement.)
Set aside and keep warm.


Meanwhile, heat 4 large tostadas or tortillas de maíz, OR toast English muffins, if you want to Anglicize this dish.


Poach eggs, 2 per serving, or as desired. We prefer the eggs with soft yolks.


Plating: place two tostadas, or tortillas, or two halves of toasted English muffin on each plate. Coat breadstuff with Salsa Poblana.
Place eggs on sauce. Lightly nap eggs with remaining sauce.
Cilantro, finely chopped (optional), as a garnish.
Suggested serving with avocado and tomato slices.


¡Aquí tienes!








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks tasty, but I need some help, I missed when to put in the poblano. If it were me, I would add the roasted poblano with the onion. (a more intense pepper flavor?) The other place would be with the milk. (a more subtle pepper flavor, I would think) Judy

Don Cuevas said...

Yep, Anon; you're right about missing when to add the Chile Poblano.

I'll fix the recipe so it's added after the white sauce thickens. I wouldn't add it with the onion because I fear it would overcook and lose texture.

Thanks for pointing out the omission.

Saludos,
Don Cuevas

GlorV1 said...

I think it looks delicious and I bet it is. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week.