Sunday, June 30, 2013

Macelleria Roma

We were passing through Mexico City over a week ago, enroute to the U.S. We arrived in Colonia Roma Norte and after settling into our hotel, headed to Macelleria Roma, of which I'd only recently learned of on the spicy, saucy, irreverent restaurant blog, Sin Mantel.

Macelleria occupies the space of the former restaurant Travazares, at Orizaba #127, Roma Norte. It's easy to find, a couple of blocks south of Av. Álvaro Obregón and still a block north of Plaza Luis Cabrera (think fountains). If you are familiar with Parrilla y Canilla in Morelia , you may feel at home at Macelleria, although the vibe is much more casual and the prices somewhat lower at the latter.


While the dominant theme at Macelleria is Italian, the name means "carnicería" in Italian, and grilled meat cuts are among its specialties, other than pastas and pizzas. (I was going to write"wood-fired oven", but I'm not certain of that. In one photo I can see a domed oven, but I don't know if it's wood fired.)

During the week, they offer a nicely balanced menú del día for $140 pesos, including a refresco or limonada. There's an option of a glass of house wine for $40 pesos. We chose to order a la carte.

Partial menus
The ambiance is casual, and I just read that the space was designed and constructed using recycled materials whenever possible. This is evident in the unfinished ceilings.

Bar area

Our waitress brought us hot bruschetta and a small bowl of sweet potato and beet chips, made on the premises. They were surprisingly addictive. There was also a dish of spiced butter in a pool of olive oil to dab on a plump round of warm bread.



Doña Cuevas selected a Trío de Brochetas, which combined shrimp, arrachera and chicken on three generous skewers, and a salad of beet, arugula, avocado, goat cheese and candied walnuts.



I had a Ribeye steak. We are often hungry for good beef, so this was my first opportunity in a while. It was not too thick a cut, but it was well seasoned with cracked black pepper and nicely cooked. The steak came with a cup of fresh cut and seasoned Papas Francesas.

Steak Frites, spicy sauce
For dessert, I felt compelled to have the Pastel de Tres Leches, along with an espresso. The cake was mildly disappointing. The cut out rounds of sponge cake were not what I was expecting. I might on our next visit try the Crumble de Manzana, apple crisp with a Spanish name. The espresso was decent, in my humble estimation.

Pastel Tres Leches.
Ratings:

Food: ****

Service: ****1/2

Ambience: Recycled cool, relaxed

Price: $$$+ 
La Cuenta: CLICK

Location: Calle Orizaba # 127, Colonia Roma Norte, México, D.F.


View Larger Map


5 comments:

Bixa Orellana said...

Great review, DonC. I'm glad I read it before reading the one by Sin Mantel, which puts so much emphasis on the sandwiches.

The beverage prices rather made me gulp!

What is "cop. selva c. mont" on the bill?

DonCuevas said...

Bixa, the cop. selva c. mont must have been the glass of Montepulciano suggested by our waitress. Until now, I'd been unaware of how expensive it was.

Saludos,
Don Cuevas



PS: Were you as entertained by the sinmantel review as was I?

Bixa Orellana said...

Uh, glad I could suck some of the pleasure out of the experience for you. :-P
Well, Sin Mantel's explanation of the chicken sandwich's yumminess is amusing, but I'm thinking you mostly like the reviewer's looks. ;-)

DonCuevas said...

No diminution of pleasure. The sinmantel reviewer is intriguing, but not my type. ;-) BTW, it was a roast beef sandwich.


Saludos,
DC

DonCuevas said...

That's so cute!


Saludos,
DC